AT

AT  

By: LZ33 on April 7, 2020, 8:29 p.m.

I heard the Appalachian Trail is closed and all its entry's trails / parking lots along the AT. 

I also learned they were towing cars parked along the roads due to all the people headed up and hiking in the Appalachians.

Does anyone have any links to news on this?

It's not the destination, it's the journey to discover the unforgettable geocache.

Re: AT  

By: GeoMonkeyTigerExclamationPoint on April 8, 2020, 6:59 a.m.

This site has a lot of information to offer:  Appalachian Trail Conservancy

They have a state by state update.  There is nothing mentioned about Georgia (Other than some visitor's centers at key State Parks being closed).  However, the general recommendation is that hikers do NOT hike the trail... Please stay off the Appalachian Trail

By: Biker64 on April 8, 2020, 7:27 a.m.

Dale, here is the summary page at the Appalacian Trail Conservacy site.  I suppose certain sections are open where there is access away from a trail head, but, there's always a but, my understanding is they are doing everything possible to keep it empty. 

https://wildeast.appalachiantrail.org/explore/plan-and-prepare/hiking-basics/health/covid19/

This was posted last week:

https://wildeast.appalachiantrail.org/news/atc-requests-temporary-closure-of-the-at/

You may have to go to Rich Mountain if you want to hike, don't forget your bear bell!

Be careful out there

Will Ride For Cache!!

By: LZ33 on April 8, 2020, 8:26 a.m.

Looks like all I heard is correct and I wont be going to the Appalachians. 

Rich Mtn would be a delight, especially if the road is open... I know they have it open in the spring for turkey season.  The trails leading up are a great work out with and with caches.  I need to replace a container that isn't found much up there. I've got some very rare SWAG in a new ammo can to swap it out with. 

It's not the destination, it's the journey to discover the unforgettable geocache.

By: Brokers on Dec. 30, 2020, 9:04 a.m.

what do you mean?