Week 19- So Far Away (5/14/18 - 5/20/18) ¶
By: GeoMonkeyTigerExclamationPoint on May 13, 2018, 7:49 p.m.
GGA Challenge #19: So Far Away!!
Challenge Period: Monday, 5/14/18 to Sunday 5/20/18.
Deadline for submitting proof: Wednesday, 5/23/18 by 11:59 PM.
Points apply to: June GGA Drawing (6/09/18)
Have you ever seen a cache on the map, all by itself, with nothing else around, and thought to yourself, “I wonder who visits that cache?”. Well, this week, it will be you!!
Your challenge this week is to find a “remote” cache! You want to find caches that are a certain distance from the nearest cache. And because mysteries, Wherigos, and multis can be rather confusing (GC3895, anyone :P), let’s leave those out of it. So, for this challenge, you’re looking for traditional, letterbox, virtual, or Earthcache.
Here are your levels
Bronze (1 Point): Find a cache that is at least .5 miles from the nearest cache!
Silver (3 Points): Find a cache that is at least 1.5 miles from the nearest cache!!
Gold (7 points): Find a cache that is at least 2.5 miles from the nearest cache!!!
Note: the cache YOU find must be a Traditional, Letterbox, Virtual, or Earthcache, but the NEAREST cache can be any type. Also, it does not matter if you have found the nearest cache or not.
If you are not sure how to find out how close the nearest cache is, there will be a separate post that will publish approximately 5 minutes after this one showing you an easy way to do this.
SPECIAL BONUS: To add a little fun, I will be tracking how “remote” each person’s find is. The person with the MOST remote find will get two things:
- Serious honor and street cred.
- A “pass” that can be redeemed for a Gold challenge on the week of your choosing in the future!
Note, if there are multiple cachers that find the most remote cache, each cacher will receive the award!!
Send your proof of completion to firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline to earn your points and chances in the May drawing! In your email include:
• Which level you qualified for
• Your qualifying caches/actions
• Your geonick
• Your real name
For this week, a screenshot of the nearest caches is the best “proof” you can submit (see the separate posting)
Don’t forget to post your pictures and stories on the GGA Facebook page! Tag them with #ggachallenges
Don’t know what we’re talking about with these “Challenges”? Read about it here:
How to determine how “remote” a cache is.
Note, that there is more than one way to do this, but I believe this is the easiest. Just follow these steps:
- Use the map to find a “remote-looking” cache.
- Click on the cache and open the cache page.
- Once, on the cache page, scroll down past the description and hint and you will find a section labeled. “Find…”, and a series of links. Choose “…all nearby caches”. Note, there are several options, so make sure you choose the one that just says “…all nearby caches”
- This will open a list of the nearest caches and the distance to each one. If the distance is the right amount you’re looking for, you’re all set! If not, go back to the map and repeat!
If you’re having any trouble with this, please email email@example.com and we will help you!
Good luck this week!